Monday 12 August 2013

Folk Lore

Absence makes the hear go fonder... 

I will attempt to tell you a little about what happens to me when I travel outside of my home and share some of the customs that I have seen throughout the region that have become fond memories to me over the years. I want to start with one that very recent in my mind and one that no matter what over the years will remain fresh in my mind. 

I recently visited one of our sister island and the discussion was around how you eat the well at home we roast the breadfruit, peel it and serve well in this island it was roast and serve with the black skin. I went to the beach and my good friend said to me "is the first time I having breadfruit" low and behold the man eating the breadfruit out of the skin what a first time experience. I will stick with the peel and eat! I got to share this one.

Every visited anywhere and heard that it was fly season? Well I did and boy it was really a sight to see man they were about in there numbers and they just love to show themselves when we were around. 

When I left my hotel room and went down for breakfast got to be sure that there was someone else sitting at the table because this person had to watch and fan your food for you until you finish collect your food. And to top it off it was a food event really nice touch. It still brings a smile! 

Anyway I just wanted to those two stay tuned for the other custom duties and what makes the heart go fonder!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am not certain about the eating out of the skin.. However once its roasted, I am all game.

    ReplyDelete