Monday 12 August 2013

Cricket - The game of the West Indies people

www.golfandsports.com
I fell in love with cricket from an early, early age. The marriage was cemented. I grew up in the era of Viv Richard, Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes as Batsmen.

I remember fondly how easy it was for the Indies to score runs. In those days no amount of runs was ever too much. Often it would take the Indies the opening batsmen to start the game going. If either Greenidge or Haynes got out, we knew that the mighty Viv Richards would save the day. Oh how I love those days of Cricket. The sixes and fours rained supreme.

www.espncricinfo.com
Then we entered the days of "selfish" boys where the batsmen didn't care too much about the West Indies bond. It was all about the one man. Don't get me wrong. I am sure my heroes of old were just as selfish but at least they played as a unit. 

I lost faith in the new yings. The era of Mr. Brian Lara, Chanderapul, Courtney Walsh and Courtney Ambrose. Ambrose, a light amongst the darkness. Amidst, the changing of the guard, there were some fun times. Lara, magnificence and our delightful bowlers

My love affair had began to dwindle. The marriage had began to show signs of cracking. I wanted so badly to believe that the cracks would be mended but it kept getting worst by the days onslaught.

Enter the age of Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo.. just to name a few. I hardly know our cricketers this time around. I don't pay that detailed attention anymore. The marriage was "irretrievably broken". No amount of mending seems to be able to fix the problems.

The fights grew more public. It was time for heads to roll. Calls were made to change members of the board. There were so many lost, so few wins. The spirit was leaving to soon. Yet my love affair still lingered on. Treasuring the memories of old.

The good ole days of West Indian Cricket. Today I feel so many emotions as I sit and watch. I scream, I groan, I shout.. I cry at our easy loses... I mourn at times too as does my household.

Cricket, Lovely cricket. I am still waiting.



Nish, what say you.....

2 comments:

  1. Sue you know I share your love for the game so I am going to share my few...

    The song writer wrote probably before our time these few words as a line in a song "when you see stumps flying in the air, you know West Indies is back in town" Boy wish I could sing those words these days without it just being a distance memory!When we see stumps flying these days is pack up we start to pack up to leave or the television going through the window. Our boys have forgotten what it means to love the game. The economics of our islands have touched the game to the point where we lost a whole series due to money issues. How can we forget that white,black wash in South Africa boy there is where your boy Lara shine.
    No longer my mom and her colleagues stay up all night with the small radio to watch the game is flat screen televisions and they all go to sleep. I cannot say that I am seeing positive changes what I can do say the stumps are still flying and not for good... Still love it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. True... We are losing a new generation... That part is most disconcerting. Something has to be done.

    ReplyDelete