Tuesday 6 August 2013

Quarantine and Pest

www.foodsafetymagazine.com 
So in an ideal world, all things being equal... I would have gone to the Quarantine Department to ensure that all produce are inspected and documented accordingly. No hassle, light sweat .. on my way

Imagine my frustration when the office attendant called and stated that there was only one (1) phyto being issued for 210 boxes of specified produce. In my pretend calm, I inquired. I inquired because if I had not personal, physically done the labelling and counting off for myself. If I had not written up the information... 

I called the relevant persons before I placed a call to Quarantine. I called to make certain that I had not made a mistake. I checked my memories.. I recalled my thoughts.. I knew for all that I can remember, I took to the port 210 labels, 90 labels one way and a further 120 labels another way. I remember separate envelopes with specifics for boxes. With my mental capacity in tact, with my information gathered i called back Quarantine.

I spoke as calmly as possible. I indicated to the young lady on the other end that 

  1. The person who did inspection had made a mistake
  2. A proper inspection was not done however I can understand a mistake happening
  3. That 2 independent persons who checked off the shipment, had the same information that i relayed, hence just a simple correction is needed
Simple solution to the problem. No .. no such luck. I listened on the phone for about 15 minutes until the lady had satisfied her soul and cleared her lungs. I said simple "With further inspection this problem would have been avoided." I asked, "When did Quarantine start writing up phytos without a representative being present?

I suppose I was not to ask that question. The rant went on but this time I had no patience. I simply told the young lady on the other end that it is all about communicating and admitting a simple error.

No comments:

Post a Comment